Volunteers are an essential part of the Wachusett Food Pantry.
We are a 100% volunteer operation and we always welcome new volunteers.
- The average time commitment is 3 to 6 hours per month, on Friday or Saturday.
- Volunteers are always needed.
- Volunteers must be in 9th Grade or older.
For Volunteer Guidelines click here.
For more information about volunteer opportunities, call 978-563-1064 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important Covid-19 Information: The Wachusett Food Pantry adheres to stringent standards for the safety of our volunteers and our recipients, including the mandatory wearing of a mask by all volunteers and recipients, contact-free food distribution, sanitizing of equipment, and social distancing.
Our partner agency, The Worcester County Food Bank, acquires and distributes a monthly allotment of canned, dry, frozen and fresh food and grocery products, the majority of which is provided by the State (MEFAP) and the Federal Government (TEFAP). About 80% of the food we provide comes from the WCFB.
About 20% of our food comes from food drives organized by local schools, religious and civic groups, and the generous contributions from the community at our drop-off sites throughout the region. Due to limited storage space and changing food needs, please Contact Us so we can assist you in organizing a successful food drive.
Bread and bagels are donated by Shaw’s in Worcester and The Bagel Inn in Holden.
The food pantry requests non-perishable and unexpired foods. Listed below are several items that are constant necessities:
- Canned protein sources (chicken, baked beans)
- 100% Juice (concentrate preferred)
- Canned fruits and vegetables
- Canned soup
- Spaghetti sauce
- Peanut butter
- Cereal and oatmeal
- Mac ‘n cheese
- Personal care (soap, shampoo, etc.)
- Paper products (toilet paper, tissues)
During the pandemic, non-perishable and unexpired food can be dropped off at two locations:
- Big Y in Holden: There’s a clearly-marked collection bin inside, near the checkout registers.
- Wachusett Food Pantry: We have a shopping cart outside our building at 50 Worcester Road (Route 12), Sterling. You can drop off food at any time, 24/7.
Tax-deductible contributions can be mailed to us at:
Wachusett Food Pantry
P.O. Box 62
A receipt will be provided by return mail.